Friday, May 22, 2009

The strange Convocation

I had always been proud of my "Being Punctual" habit. I would always reach well in time on each and every occasion at least during my four years at the university. But something terribly strange was waiting to ruin my punctuality on my convocation day.
I got up early in the morning to spare approximately three hours for getting dressed and doing my makeup :D. That part went well and I actually looked good but I didn't know that my good looks won't last long. After reaching the university (by foot) I found out that my graduation cap was missing. I only had the robe and hood with me. There was only about an hour left in the actual ceremony to start. But missing the cap was not part of my plan. So in a hurry I paced back to my place, passing by many cars heading for the function and flinging dirt on my face and hair :(. My shoes hurt and I was sweating like anything. Finally reaching my room I saw the cap lying on the sofa when I was so sure I had it in my hands because I had been trying to fix it on my head in the best possible position. So I grabbed it and ran for my university. Again passing by the rushing cars leaving dirt everywhere. By the time I reached the university I was very tired already, I mean before even the function had started(I felt like I had been playing treasure hunt). So I went to the washroom to wear the robe and the cap and fix the hood on the robe's left arm. It all took about fifteen minutes,but I wasn't happy at all as all my hair do and make up was ruined. After that I rushed towards the hall where the procession had to stand and as I opened the door I was shocked to see everyone present except me and the more embarrassing part was that I was to stand at the front of the line so I was being noticed even more. The organizing faculty member shouted at me "You are late and you were at the front!!!!". I was still thinking the same thing how could I be late rather I didn't deserve to be late. Then came the organizer's voice saying "Alright everybody!!! stay in your position,the procession is about to start!". I was staring blankly at people dressed in white either fixing their caps or hoods but I was only doing one thing....thinking about me getting late. The drum beat started and we all proceeded towards the convocation hall slowly matching our steps with the parallel person. After we reached inside the hall,found it filled with each graduate's parents sitting in his respected row. After the procession,the function proceeded with DG and Rector's address and then as it was announced that the chief guest will start distributing the degrees, I was damn sure that something stupid is about to happen with me again. The moment this thought occurred to me I began to recall the path I had to take to move to the stage and how to receive the degree and smile for a good photograph. When the time for students in my row to receive their degrees came, we all stood up but as expected I had moved so fast that I surpassed the students who had to take degrees before me when we were told that we had to move slowly and in synchronization. As my turn came to move to the stage and give my name chit to the person on the dice so that she could call my name,I tried my best not to be nervous and fall down:P. I greeted the chief guest and took the degree, tilted my face slightly towards the camera and smiled which i know was fake :D. Anyway as I came down the stairs on the other side of stage, I saw people smiling at me as if I had done wonders,I felt a bit good but my sandals hurt bad. And as I took a look at my feet while coming towards my seat, I found out that my trouser color did not match the color of my shirt. Both were different shades of white. I felt bad. Was this because of the walk I had in the sun or had I gone blind while ironing or even buying my clothes. Certainly the colors matched before that day. What was happening with me. My sandals had peeled off the skin under my ankles.Was I having a nightmare.
After the function ended we were told that the official photographer is available and we could have a full body photograph in our graduation robes and hat so that we could later on hang those portraits in out homes and show them to our childern and grand childern and prove them that we actually graduated :D...though weirdly:P

Avail Free Translation Services

No comments:

Post a Comment